Capstone Writing is Easy With Us!
How to write a capstone project? This question is often asked by students, as this type of assignment is difficult and is not similar to simple essay writing. Capstone project is a paper, which reflects all the knowledge on a particular subject the students have received during the course. As a result, capstone writing may become a real problem for many students.
What is a capstone project? In order to write a high quality capstone project it is important understand what it is. Generally, this paper type is defined as a research work on a particular topic learn during the educational year. Actually, capstone can be even presented in a form of a dissertation or any other work. However, it is assigned with the single aim of checking student’s knowledge gained during the course.
The other specific feature of capstone project is a presence of a research question. Consequently, the whole project is based on answering this question.
Capstone is not a usual writing assignment even considering the fact that students tend to deal with it only once or three times in their life while obtaining their degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD). This way or another, if you are going to get a degree, you will have to write a capstone project. There is not chance to avoid it and we will try to provide you with useful information on how it can be done.
How to write a capstone project in a couple of easy steps:
- First of all, you will have to remind all the projects you performed during a year, all courses you took and all essays you had to submit and create a list of them.
- Provide a brief description for each of them;
- Considering the fact that capstone project writing is similar to research paper writing, it is recommended to think about the research papers you have completed during a year and keep them as a reminder for proper structure, outline, etc.
- Choosing a topic is a next step. It is an important part of work as the whole writing process depends on what you are going to write about.
- Look for valid and up-to-date sources to support your research.
- Make sure you start working on your project in advance. It will give you enough time for doing the reading of the sources you are not familiar with.
- Take notes in the process of reading. Outline important parts or write them down use them later.
- Create a draft of your project using your notes.
- It is recommended to write introductory and final part of the paper only when the rest of the paper is written. In such way, you will be able to provide good Introduction and Conclusion, as well as create a proper thesis statement.
To those students who want to know how to write a capstone project we strongly recommend to start from choosing the right topic. If it is not assigned to you, you should think about the topic that is the most interesting to you personally. Besides, make sure that the topic you choose has a scientific value and can contribute to the current knowledge.
Besides, in order to choose a good topic, you should be able to answer the following questions:
- What area is of the highest interest to you?
- Who long and complex the project is? Do you have enough information to cover all of it?
- What are the requirements of department in regard to your project? In case you are writing a capstone project for PhD, you should prepare proper proposal, which will be approved by the committee members.
Main Steps to Follow in the Process of Writing
After you have made your mind about the topic of your interest, you will need to follow a specific writing procedure:
- Determine whether there were any researchers that cover the areas that are the same or similar to your research question. Besides, you will have to find and get acquainted with the primary research on your topic.
- Determine the type of capstone project you are going to use. It is not always required when you write a project for a Bachelor’s degree. However, in case you are working on a project to obtain Master’s or PhD degree, you will have to design a project that has already been investigated and research earlier.
- Analyze the collected information and make sure that it is enough to answer your research question.
- Create a final draft of your project. Make sure you follow all the requirements of your department, as well as writing standards and requirements to the writing style you use. In addition, you should provide clear Introduction and thesis statement that will be reflected in your paper.
- Do not forget to communicate with your advisor in regard to issues you find confusing or which you feel need paying special attention to.
- Make sure your conclusion properly summarizes your thesis and addresses your research question to the fullest. Ask yourself whether it answers the question you have put and how the project can be improved.
Additional Points to Consider
- The issue with project length should be clarified with the representatives of your department, as it may vary depending on the degree you are trying to obtain. Normally, the length may run between 30 and above 100 pages.
- Number of source and references. The number of sources used for the capstone project should also be clarified prior to writing. However, in case such information was not provided, it is not recommended to use less than 12 sources and more than 25.
- Formatting. Make sure you clarify what formatting style is required prior to writing considering that different styles have their specific rules.
Following is short list of things, which are recommended and not recommended during the capstone writing:
- Follow the rules of a chosen formatting style;
- Make notes and create a list of things you may want to change in the process of writing so you could spot them fast;
- Stick to academic rules of writing.
- To forget what the purpose of the project is;
- Use clichés;
- To ignore the simplest grammar, punctuation and syntax rules in the process of writing.
Mistakes to Avoid:
- Writing at the last moment;
- Copy/pasting from previous works or works of other students;
- Gathering of unreliable of outdated sources;
- Not focused writing;
- Using too much unnecessary of general information;
- Retelling information without analyzing it. Your task is not to describe what you have read in primary and secondary sources but to analyze the information gathered. Proper analysis of other works is the only way to create your personal high quality capstone project.
So, if you manage to follow all the above-provided steps, you will get a chance to write an A+ capstone project. However, if you think it is too difficult for you and even tips from your advisor do not help, you can always ask for professional custom capstone writing help.