How to Write an Excellent Press-Release What is a press release and why do we need them? A press release…
How to Write an Excellent Press-Release
What is a press release and why do we need them? A press release is needed when an organization wants to communicate to the press and to highlight a newsworthy piece of information. Writing a press release is not a difficult task as it has a standard structure. The most important thing when writing a press release is to know your audience and to have a clear focus on the key message that this press release should convey.
The main goal when writing a press release is to attract to your story as many journalists as possible.
Top 4 things you need to know before writing a press release:
- Journalists are always busy. It means that they don’t have time for poorly written press releases. Send them a press release that they can use right away.
- Most probably, journalists don’t understand your subject well.Don’t expect them to understand the peculiarities of your business. Be ready to explain everything and turn difficult into simple.
- Journalists don’t care about your product or your company.You can only get them to write about you if you have an interesting story to tell.
- Sometimes your press release will be eclipsed with bigger events. That happens because something is constantly going on in the world and one piece of news tends to eclipse others.
These four things mean that:
- Press release needs to be no more than one page
- It should contain all the necessary information on the subject
- It should be written in simple and easy-to-understand language
- It should tell a story and if it doesn’t, journalists will make up their own
- It should include your contact information
To understand what your press release should include, answer the following questions:
- Who are the main players?
- Where is this happening?
- When is the timing?
- Why is this important?
- What’s new?
Turn your answers in short, punchy and smart sentences that convey your message and tell your story. Try not to write sentences, which contain more than 25 words. Now, as we perfectly know what a press release is, let’s look at its structure.
- Headline, which makes people understand why your story is important
- Introductory part, that summarizes your key message
- Additional paragraphs, which uncover the details behind the story and include a quote of senior staff member of the organization concerning the subject
- Closing paragraph, that sums up the main message once again
- Notes for editors, should include contact information
Speaking about the structure of the press release it is crucial to mention that you should include the most important information in the introductory paragraph in order to catch the attention of the journalist form the very beginning.
When e-mailing your press release to a journalist:
- Carefully select the subject of your e-mail. A good headline is the key to getting your press release noticed.
- Avoid sending the release as an attachment. Insert the press release in the body of the e-mail so that journalists can immediately see what it is about.
- Follow it up with an e-mail or phone call.
Knowing these tips and tricks, your press releases are bound to get noticed.
Professionally written papers here