Best Safety Tips: Securing Your Devices and Networks
Hundred years ago, our belongings were the most valuable things for us. Now information is more important than belongings. How to protect it? Here is the list of top 10 tips on how to keep your data safe.
Top 5 Wireless Security & Data Security Tips
Backup your data
– that is a basic tip, but how many people are really following it? Just create a duplicate of your data on a separate device (external hard drive) in case your main device is broken, lost, stolen etc. You can also use a cloud service to backup your files. This is very convenient because you can access your files from any place that has connection to the Internet. In case you have huge volume of files, it is advisable to use an external hard drive.
Encrypt your data
– the importance of data encryption is hard to over-evaluate. Some think data encryption is only applicable for geeks, but in reality, anyone can use it as modern software makes this useful feature accessible to all. You can use FileVault for MacOS and TrueCrypt for Windows.
Use anti-malware protection
– malware is dangerous to your data. Malware includes trojan horses, worms, viruses, spyware, and other harmful programs that can damage or steal your information. Get a good anti-virus and firewall, keep them updated and run regular scans. Also, avoid clicking on the links in suspicious e-mails or messages.
Get rid of old devices and backups cleverly
– which means not to let anyone re-use them. If you want to get rid of your old hard drive, make it unreadable. Use special software or sanitize the disk magnetically. If you are deleting files from the drive, do not forget to remove them from your cloud storage.
Install operating system updates regularly
– this may be painful but it is an absolute must. These updates may contain very important patches that will defend your system from the newest malware, viruses, and other threats. If you do not have these updates installed, your computer may be in danger. Also, do not forget to automate your software updates. This will help you in keeping data safe.
And the last, but not least, always secure your wireless network with a password. Stay safe and keep your data safe!